Sunday, March 25, 2012

Love Letters

As we enter into having more kids in school and less in diapers new challenges arise all of the time.  Parenting is like that isn't it?  Just when you feel like you have a good understanding of the "rules" the whole games changes.

My oldest is now in 2nd grade and recently came home with a letter in his backpack.  It had hearts on it.  It had words on it.  The words said "I love you Evan.  You Ker for me."  Immediately I began thinking about how to handle this situation.  He obviously had a little gal at school who was sweet on him.  I wondered how he handled it when she handed him the note.  Was he gracious?  What did he say?

I continued to ponder (all in about a 30 second window of time) how to approach this new parenting territory.  I finally settled on asking him first who it was from.

It was from his sister.  Who is in Kindergarten.  Who handed him the note on the ride home with the neighbors.  My heart immediately melted.  These two children really do enjoy quite a bond, there is less friction between them then any other combination of two in our family.

To me this was a lesson in letting your children explain things without judgement first.  Give them a chance to tell you their view on things and then process.  Let them finish their sentences when you ask for an explanation.  this is a huge pet peeve of mine when parents ask "what did you do?" and then they launch into a tirade before their child can answer.  Give your child the opportunity to learn how to make things right.

Have you ever "counted your chickens before they were hatched" with your child?
What happened?  Were things better or worse then you thought they would be in the end?

4 comments:

  1. I love your advice, and what a cute story:) I'm excited to follow along with you! Congratulations on starting up your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jill! Looks like you've been blogging for quite awhile - any tips? Things you wished you'd known early on?

      Delete
  2. Congrats on starting a blog Beka!! It will be a pleasure hearing about your wonderful family!

    As I read your final questions...I can recall "counting my chickens before they hatched" on several occassions with my kids. I can recall that it didn't go so well. I do agree that it is better to hear them out, and let them problem solve before jumping in and "rescuing" them. AWEOME parenting advice! And I love your story with it too. That is so fun to see them get along so well, and have such a strong bond!

    Blessings~ Jennifer Bailey

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Becka! I don't know that I have a lot of suggestions for you....If you have questions, though, please ask and I'll try to help! I started mine in the place of a baby book/scrapbook for my kids, and my goal is to one day have it published into a book!

    ReplyDelete