Saturday, April 21, 2012

How much is enough?

                                                           Summer Soccer, 2010
Every year at about this time I begin to look at our summer schedule and try to piece it together.  At the ages my kiddos are at we are just entering into the world of outside activities.  In the past we have simply been trying to survive with babies, nursing, and getting to the grocery store and back.  Last year we added swim lessons, soccer for two kids, and summer camp for one. 

Sounds good, right?  So why do I feel so much pressure to sign my kids up for so many things?  All of the opportunities sound so wonderful - there are chances for them to learn how to do so many things - sports, arts, music, and more.  How do you choose as a parent?  How do you keep pleasantly busy without running yourself ragged through the summer?

I don't know.  However, I do know myself and the things that I want to experience with my kids this summer.  You could say I have a goal, a purpose in mind.  I want them to be able to enjoy summer activities, but I don't want the activities to edge out family time and experiences we can have together.  I crave a balance of organized chances for my children to spread their wings and time together at home to be bored together.

So, how do I accomplish my goal?  By taking things year by year.  This summer my baby is 2 1/2, which is a considerably easier age to take places than a 1 1/2 year old, and that allows us to do different things.  I also take a good look at our budget and get some firm numbers in mind for how we are going to spend our limited summer income.  (check out http://imom.com/tools/get-organized/extracurricular-monthly-cost-worksheet/ for a worksheet to help you keep track of this)  I include my older children in some of these decisions too, allowing them some limited choices on what to register for.  Along with the opportunity for them to gain that control through choices is also the opportunity for them to learn perseverance through the gentle reminders that we will finish the commitments that we have agreed to do.

How do you decide how much is enough for you family?
Do you think different families have different "thresholds" of activity?
What is your secret for a pleasant summertime with kids?  

4 comments:

  1. We just signed Abbie up for 3 summer activities! Im not sure who is more excited, me or her. It will be an interesting first for us- especially toting along a newborn!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Should be a fun summer! You are at the portable baby stage - for me it was all about being prepared at this stage, remembering to bring the extra outfit and diapers. You'll do great!

      Delete
  2. We are keeping things easy . . . swimming lessons for Svea, and Viggo has camp at LBBC and a week-long daily Lego camp (he doesn't know about the Lego camp yet!). Elin will just tag along after everyone else. As a stay-at-home mom, and a homeschooling mom, I feel like we're on the move too much as it is! I want to try to make this a relaxing summer with plenty of free time to just go to the park, play with friends, and not have too many obligations. (Your blog is fabulous, btw :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. umm, LEGO CAMP? Awesome! Sounds like a really cool community ed offering? What week did you guys end up going with at LBBC? And Thank you for the kind blogging words :)

      Delete